tisdag 31 mars 2015

Thailand!

For the 9th time (if my counting is correct) I felt my feet reach the solid grounds of Bangkok as I stepped out of the plain after a 18 hour journey from Auckland. Knowing that I had my mother, who was longing to see, waiting for me at the hotelroom in town, I hurried out of the plans and throught the security faster than ever. Just over an hour later I found myself buried in my mums arms breathing in her smell after 1 year and 8 months apart. She claimed that she had to film me, and just as camera the camera started rolling, the wardrobe door burst open and out jumped my little brother. I let out a shriek of surprise and happiness as I hugged him tightly. I could not believe it. What surprised me most wasn't the fact that he had jumped out of the wardrobe and now was standing in front of me, but the size of him. When I left he was but a tiny little boy, my little brother. He must of had grown twice the size since, his voice was darker and his body was covered with an amount of muscles that seems simply unfair for being a sixteen year old. I barely recognized him.  

Khao Lak 
Aching to get out of Bangkok as quick as possible we booked a ticket to Phuket the following afternoon. After visiting Thailand numberous of times in my days, never have I been to Phuket. Given that it's renown for being a 'on the beach' version of Bangkok, surrounded by fancy resorts, and attract trashy backpacker, I guess it never pulled my interest. This time wouldn't be any different. Instead we got into a taxi taking us alo the west cost an hour up north. To a place I didn't know existed until our cousin started working there a few months back. I didn't gave her too much notice regarding our arrival and even if she knew we would come she was suprise to see me on the street, calling her name as she was buying dinner. Khao Lak is a one street town, and I just happen to pass by in my mission to find accomodatin for the night. I brought her back to the resturant where mum, Joel, our bags and our dinner was waiting for my returnal. 

Victoria works as an entertainer at a luxury resort nearby, where we spend most of our time sneakily taking advantage of all their facilities. And watching her perform. The different Pools stretching along the doorstep of people's rooms, or along all the sun beds, Palmtrees leading the way to the beach, sunbed after sunbed overlooking the ocean. We attended their work -out classes, grabbed free drinks, while watching Vicci being a clown joking around with the kids. Every night they had different shows as the tables was set up around the stage and free dinner buffet was served. 

As Vicci didn't start work until afternoon, we started the days with breakfast on her balcony, including my mum's homemade sourdought bread. Unbeatable!! Joel and mum shared a bungalow just around the corner from Vicci's place, while I stayed in her bed. Our last day she took us to he national park before starting work. Natural fish spa, and a waterfall on the bush. As a side job, she sings together with a local band at a bar a  few nights a week, as they have live music every night. The bar was super nice, with good music scene and cosy atmosphere. The musicians was riddicously talented and Joel and I ended up dancing away as they preformed. 

Koh Lanta 
After a couple of days spoiling ourselves with the luxury all inclusive resort life, we decided iit was time to keep going and got ourselves to koh Lanta. One of the few places In Thailand where I haven't yet been. We got Joel booked into a 3 day open water diving course, starting the next day, to make him a certificated padi diver. As he headed off for his course, mum and I had a brilliant day lying on the beach. As mum and I was after some fundives ourselves, we came with Joel and his diving team on the boat, joining him on his first 2 under water dives. I had been looking forward to diving with mum as well, who use to be a dive instructor back in the days. And Thailand's diving is never to disappoint. 
After Joel finished his cource we spend our last day on the island renting motorbikes. Joel got to drive his own as mum and I shared one. We drove down east cost to 'old town' for breakfast, continued to the viewpoint and across the centre to the soutwestern beaches. We then found ourselves getting lost in the jungle on our way to a waterfall, that was a bit to dry to be called such thing. At least we got a good walk out of it. 

Railay 
I remember Railay as one of my favourite places in Thailand, and when we got there I was shocked over the almount of resorts and buildings. How much could it possibly have changed during the past 2 years? It wasn't until we got across to the opposite side I started to recognize myself and my surroundings. The main strip, the walking path, the tiny restaurants and bars along the seafront. having that issue sorted out my mum booked us into a full day of diving the next day - her shot. It ended up being one of my favourite diving experiences so far. Starting with a 30 meter deep wreck dive. Joel had to be put in a different group for that as he's not yet an advanced diver. The currents was strong and we didn't have the best sights but the experience of swimming through the wreck was enough to make us forget about the rest. We did two more dives together with Joel before starting our trip back to Railay. Poor Joel was hanging out over the back of the boat beeing sick all the way back. His seasickness escalated into a dramatic nightmare of fighting the toilet all night long, which he kindly enought brought me to be apart of. Exhaustion and sickness kept us inside for the next couple of days. Thank god we our mother to take care of us. I felt like a little child again. 
Before catching our afternoon boat to the airport, we got into a half day of rock climbing- my favourite sport. Joel still didn't feel great, but mum and I both did exceptionally well fighting the walls. Especially my mother, who highly impressed everyone due to her age! 

Bangkok 
Our days together was sadly enought leading towards the end. The end of 2 amazing unforgettable weeks with parts of my beloved family. Except for the two days of beeing to sick to move, I could never have wished for the trip to turn out differently. Getting into Bangkok that last night, we checked into a hostel on Khao San road. I place I'd never think of bringing my mother unless she insisted in expedience this chaotic backpacker street. Which she did. A few last minute shopping items and a last meal later we were facing our beds as they had to get up at 6 in the morning catching a cab to the airport. Waving them goodbye on the street that early morning was probably one of the hardest things I've had to deal with, knowing that it will be a year until next time. All that day I walked around with a feeling of emptiness, until I met Courtney that evening. The American girl I met in Borocay, Bangkok and Melbourne and who invited me to stay with her in her apartment. She showed me around the sukhumvit area, and a nearby beer garden for dinner and drinks. She had to leave early for work the next morning as I slept in and spent the day in their gym and by the swimmingpool located in her building. That night we headed to a skybar for one way to expensive drink as overlooking the skyline of Bangkok. We ended up at a nearby hostel, where Courtney's friends works, celebrating St Patricks day with green beer, beer pong, Irish hats and good company. The night brought us a taxifare away to an Irish bar, where we danced, drank and chatted away until we finally made our way home just in time for me to catch a taxi to the airport and my early flight! 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar